top of page
The Leeds Bradford Airport Fire Service has been in operation since the 1960’s under the management of The Yorkshire Aeroplane Club, the firm that has run the airport on behalf of the owners Leeds & Bradford Corporations. The airport is situated approximately 6 miles from Leeds City centre in an area called Yeadon & is Yorkshire’s largest airport handling 3,318,358 passengers & 31,057 flights in 2014. Initially called Leeds & Bradford Municipal Airport it was opened on 17th October 1931 in what is now the County Of West Yorkshire. It was taken over by the British Government at the outbreak of war & in 1942 Avro built a factory to the north side of the aerodrome with a taxiway leading onto the runway. Many war planes performed their first flights from Yeadon, Avro produced 5,515 military aircraft at the site including Lancasters, Bristol Blenheim’s, Anson’s, York & Lincoln bombers. 
Civilian flights commenced in 1947 again, halted briefly in 1965 when the terminal building was destroyed by fire, re opening in 1968.
This cap badge is the 1st pattern cap badge & a chrome enamel badge set on a standard full pressed home office star. The enamel centre secured correctly by the horizontal prongs bent inwards to the rear of the star, the cap retaining lugs are sturdy. A 1960’s era Leeds Bradford Airport Fire Service 1st pattern cap badge manufactured by Mike Trueman Badges of Birmingham

Leeds Bradford Airport Fire Service Cap Badge

    bottom of page